Thursday, September 12, 2013
Me? A Savant? (Follow up of "Me? A Polyglot?")
While commencing my daily routine of reading random Wikipedia articles, I came across the article on Savant syndrome. Savants are individuals with serious mental disabilities, including autistic disorder, who demonstrates profound and prodigious capacities or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal.
Although I do not have any autistic disorders or serious mental disabilities that I know of, the article also states that Savant syndrome can also result from receiving head trauma at a precocious age where neuro-abilities have yet to fully develop, the head trauma could affect the development in certain areas of the brain, resulting in the individual developing Savant abiltiies later on in life. As a kid, I've had a fair amount of head trauma, a result of countless playground incidents, my constant inability to NOT hurt myself while doing sports/exercises and my exceptional flair for knocking into furniture and large structures, that are evidently in my way, however, those I seem unable to avert.
In addition to fulfilling the fundamental characteristic of savants, I've noticed further similarities between me and savants, pertaining to the following excerpt:
According to Wikipedia, "Some individuals with savant syndrome also have keen sense of priority, which can involve a broad understanding of politics, law, and a conceivably heightened vocabulary."
I am someone who strongly supports fairness, equality and justice. Perhaps you've witnessed a scenario where I voice my disdain and counter the treacherous acts of selfish and ignorant people? That's me going all Crusader. (Remember my supposed Crusader Complex in a previous blog post?). I also feel that I am in possession of "conceivably heightened vocabularly" that which I shall demonstrate more of and elaborate on at a further date.
However, I cannot be certain of my savantry. It could be just illusory superiority on my part. But who knows for sure? Perhaps someone might discover this blog post the day I gain a Nobel Prize.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment