Thursday, May 8, 2014

Internship, Crystal Returns + Confessions of A Shopaholic !


This is my third week of interning at Novartis, everything’s been great, my colleagues are nice, and you can always hear laughter and jokes around the office. I don’t get too much workload, but enough to keep me occupied throughout the day. Unfortunately, I can’t disclose too much of what I do due to confidentiality matters. Although I love my job, waking up at 5.30am every morning does take some getting used to, I always feel so tired in the mornings, resulting in frequent coffee runs. Thank goodness for the amazing coffee machine here, it makes everything from mocha to latte, the usual cappuccino, everything to satisfy the slight caffeine addict in me. On days when I want to kick back from caffeine, I’ll get some milo or tea. When I get home from work, it’s usually around 7pm, this gives me about 3 hours before my energy completely drains out and all I want to do is to crawl into bed and sleep for the next century. The same routine continues throughout the week, so the weekends are what I look forward to most. During the weekends, I manage to get so many more things done, such as grocery shopping, shopping in general, preparing blog posts, sometimes I’ll even go to the library or meet up with my friends, but the best thing about weekends is being able to catch-up on my favorite TV shows (e.g. Doctor Who, Sherlock, Gossip Girl, The Originals etc.), if I have any extra time, I’ll probably be adding more songs to my playlist so that I’ll have music to listen to while on the long train rides to work. Some current favorite tunes are by The 1975, The Neighborhood and Bon Jovi.
I know I don’t usually talk about fashion on Frstbite all that tends to go on AllForCyan, but I would like to make an exception today because what I’m going to talk about goes hand-in-hand with what I mentioned above. For my new job, I am required to dress smart casual, which is something very different for me, although I tend to dress with a preppy edge while in school, I feel that it’s not “smart casual” enough. These few weeks, I’ve been pulling out what shirts, cardigans, and what work appropriate attire I have and creating a new section in my closet just for them. I already have a lot of clothes, but not enough work clothes, well not enough to last me four months I feel, because I am too “The Devil Wears Prada” to repeat outfits that I have already worn. That’s unfortunately quite materialistic of me, it’s a terrible affliction. So I’ve been going shopping to see if I can pick up a few more pieces to add to my little arsenal.
Speaking of shopping, this brings us to the next topic, my economic situation. I’ve been feeling very stressed out with work and stuff, and when I’m stressed, I go shopping. Which explains the dent in my bank account, but rest assured, I now have a steady flow of income from my new job, that I hope can sufficiently make up for the losses. Oh that totally reminds me, I need to watch Confessions of A Shopaholic again. A fashion movie + Baskin Robbins cotton candy ice cream I’ve got stocked up in my fridge = the perfect way to de-stress. I can’t wait.
Crystal’s coming back to Singapore soon, which is awesome because I’ve we’ve been friends for the longest time and she’s been the best support through difficult situations. But she’s currently studying in Australia so I hardly get to see her except when she comes back during summer break or winter break or what they call it in Aussie. I can’t wait to ask her about university life. Just to clarify, she’s the same age as me (all 5 of us are the same age, proud 95s !!) but she’s already in U, after graduating from sec school she flew over there to begin her U studies. She’ll be back in June, and then all 5 of us (me, Crys, Michelle, YX, and Audrey) will finally be reunited. They’ve already planned so many outings, which is super crazy but so awesome, includes shopping (duh.) café-hopping, etc. However, towards the end of June, Michelle will be leaving for China, sometime later Crys will be heading back to Aussie too.
The 5 of us have been friends for 5 years, they are the greatest support and the most amazing people in my life, I am so thankful for them, and I hope the distance doesn’t pull us apart. It was slightly difficult keeping together when we are in different schools, NP, SP, NYP, university in Australia. Hope we’ll still be close even though now we’re gonna be split into different continents. Guys, if you’re reading this, we need to Skype everyday, like seriously, I’m not joking, or you’re not getting Christmas presents.
That is the end of my updates post, see you in my next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment